“It’s crazy, but a few words can absolutely transform your way of thinking.”
I’m a HUGE lover of quotes. I think that they’re a great tool to have at our disposal.
It’s crazy, but a few words can absolutely transform your way of thinking.
Quotes show us that other people experience the same things in life that you do. They show that you’re not alone. And many of them offer advice from someone else who’s been in your situation.
I started jotting down my favorite “quotes to live by” in a notebook about a year ago. I’d be reading a book and suddenly feel struck by a particular line I wanted to keep track of. Likewise, I’d hear a great line in an audio book and instantly think, “I don’t want to lose that!”
I’ve shared this before, but I also used quotes to get me through a tough year at a job I didn’t like. I’d read a quote or two from a book called Brave Enough, right before dashing out the door in the morning. Reading those quotes made me feel motivated. They gave me a sort of focus for the day and made me feel more present.
So today I’ve gathered 15 of my quotes to live by. These are quotes I either find inspirational or that I think share amazing life advice. While they vary in length, they all have a great message.
I hope you find them as insightful and helpful as I have!
Please note: This post may contain affiliate links. For details please visit my Disclosure page. Thank you!
15 Quotes to Live By
1. “Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure.” – Elizabeth
“Painful recollections will intrude, which cannot, which ought not to be repelled.” – Mr. Darcy– Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
2. “You know, the Stone was really not such a wonderful thing. As much money and life as you could want! The very two things most human beings would choose above all – the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.”– Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by JK Rowling
3. “girls like you have roses inside of them that are strong enough to bloom through blizzards”– i hope this reaches her in time
4. “misfortune will not become a part of you if you do not weave it into your bones”– Kat Lehmann, Small Stones from the River
5. “the small things make up everything there is”– Kat Lehmann, Small Stones from the River
6. “when one door closes another door opens
what they do not tell you is
the door that opens is often within yourself”– Kat Lehmann, Small Stones from the River
7. “Courage, like a muscle, is strengthened by use.”– Unknown
8. “You don’t have to get a job that makes others feel comfortable about what they perceive as your success. You don’t have to explain what you plan to do with your life. You don’t have to justify your education by demonstrating its financial rewards. You don’t have to maintain an impeccable credit score. Anyone who expects you to do any of those things has no sense of history or economics or science or the arts. You have to pay your own electric bill. You have to be kind. You have to give it all you’ve got. You have to find people who love you truly and love them back with the same truth. But that’s all.”– Cheryl Strayed, Brave Enough
9. “Hello, fear. Thank you for being here. You’re my indication that I’m doing what I need to do.”– Cheryl Strayed, Brave Enough
10. “Travel by foot. There is so much you can’t identify at top speed.”– Cheryl Strayed, Brave Enough
11. “It isn’t too late. Time is not running out. Your life is here and now. And the moment has arrived at which you’re finally ready to change.”– Cheryl Strayed, Brave Enough
12. “We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”– Sirius Black, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix book by JK Rowling
13. “It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices.”– Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets movie
14. “Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.”– William Arthur Ward, Good Days Start With Gratitude Journal by prettysimplebooks
15. “Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.”– Camille Pissaro, Good Days Start With Gratitude Journal by prettysimplebooks
What did you think of these quotes? Did any of them stand out to you? Leave a comment below!